New Energy Narrative
Key Phrase: The Garden of Full Connection.
Symbolism: Two figures rejoice in paradise. Bathed in the highest light of Consciousness/Christ/God (the Sun), they stand firmly in the waters of manifestation. Having, through sacrifice and masterful effort, uplifted the dense and inanimate disk of physical creation to full and connected life, they now bask in the glory of an ascended and connected planet. This planet, once inanimate, then cold and submerged, is now elevated and filled with the Light. Consciousness floods the land. This is the purpose achieved. This is the promise of the power and the glory of Consciousness, descended, risen, and fully expressed in the body and The Body.
Narrative: This archetype teaches you the point and the purpose of your joyful incarnation. You are not here to learn lessons or pay off Karma. You are here to evolve the planet’s social, technological, economic, and political systems to the point where integration into interplanetary civilization becomes possible. You are here to build a Garden so that we might, and the end of the sixth day, graduate, celebrate, and play in creation.
You sacrifice and commit in order to fulfill the promise of the Divine Plan. You activate and connect so that you might ascend physical creation.
At the highest and most aligned levels, this archetype represents the exaltation of Consciousness in matter, the end-point of planetary gestation. This is the glorious end-times summation. This is the final, but necessary, ablation that completes the Great Work. At mundane levels, this represents that which motivates your projects. Not “karmic cleansing” or foolish tutelage but simply work to make the world a better place. You work to build a house so you can guarantee your shelter and safety. You work to have the money that you need for comfort and food. You work to build a world where all are safe and secure. Whatever it is that drives you forward is present here and in the alignments to this archetype.
Old Energy Narrative
Key Phrase: Reward for Suppression and Conformity
Symbolism: An Aryan child (blue-eyed, blond hair) sits naked on a horse in a garden. Behind the child, the sun of higher Consciousness warms the space.
Narrative: The meaning of this card is pretty much the same in the old and new energies. In both the old and new energies, this is the culmination of a plan, the “triumph over dark” and the win at the end of the game. As a Case suggests ““…this is the stage of the new birth from natural humanity to spiritual humanity.” 1 As Waite suggests, this is the culmination of the Fool’s Journey as defined by suppression of the “animal” nature and complete conformity to the System. “When the self-knowing spirit has dawned in the consciousness above the natural mind, that mind in its renewal leads forth the animal nature in a state of perfect conformity.” 2
The important detail here, the thing that makes this old energy, is that in the old energy, this is not a win for everybody. In the old energy, this is a personal triumph. In the old energy, this is individual empowerment. “He went forth to accomplish a mission, thus grasping it, he enters the path of wisdom and after trial and ordeal manifestation united with the Divine….[This is] tests of courage, obstacles overcome, drive and ambition.”3 In the old energy, there is an exclusionary message. In the old energy, the win is an assertion of privilege. In the old energy, this win is only for the “chosen” few with the courage, drive, and ambition to win.
This old energy archetype is the spiritual foundation of privilege, inequality, and exclusion, and the root cause of most suffering and woe. The notion of individual and personal attainment creates in us the tendency towards callous dismissal and naive acceptance of a grotesque status quo. The homeless person on the street is not there because a predatorial System has stripped them of all they had been, but because they have failed individually. They lack the courage, the strength, and the drive. They lack the intelligence and the wit. Their lot is their fault and not the result of systemic exploitation. Similarly, the rich man that sits on the throne is there not because the System is rigged in their favour, but because they have been chosen, because they have superior genes, because they have talent, ambition, and drive.
The above is all nonsense. Remember, we are all part of the same family of Spirit. Any form of privilege and exclusion does not align well with Highest Self. It is necessary, therefore, to put aside exclusionary rhetoric and justification. The final step before collective connection and graduation is to simply assert, admit, and accept that in the new energy there can be no elements of privilege or exclusion and no intimations of final judgment and woe. True, we have sacrificed while we have laboured towards graduation. True, we have all done many horrible things. However, at the end of the sixth day, when graduation day is here, everyone (and I do mean everyone) is entitled to celebratory renewal and renewal. Everybody gets to join in the party. Don’t be a fool. Nobody is punished and discarded. The promise is of healing and collective celebration. The promise of God to all life forms is simply this, nobody will be “left behind.”
- Getting out of the ugly old energy sun archetype is easy; watch out for ideas that support and justify exclusion in any way, be that by gender, ethnicity, social class, or whatever. Watch out for subtle messages of rapture and ascent that deny and exclude, or ideas that there will be a “harvest” of Mother Nature’s “silver seed.” This is not true. The chosen ones will not be flown off in a spaceship to a new world. The chosen children will not ascend and leave the rest behind. At the end of the sixth day, we are not judged and punished no matter what we have done. Instead, we are all welcomed with open arms back into the family of spirit. We all graduate together. We all participate in the glorious celebration.
- The best practice for this card is celebratory love. Be warm, accepting, and compassionate to all beings. When you see evil in the world, when you witness Wrong Thought or Wrong Action, resist the urge to judge and condemn. Instead, help heal and transform. Of course, this does not mean you must open yourself up to abuse, expose yourself (and your children) to toxicity and evil, or accept violent, greedy, disjunctive behaviour. Invitations to heal and compassionate understanding do not require that we accept and tolerate bad behaviour. Individual reconnection and collective graduation requires healing and transformation. Nobody burns in hell, and no karma tempers your soul, but that’s no reason to accept the violence, abuse, and greed of others. To finally achieve God’s full promise, embrace full power, erase these out of your life, and transform the world.
Group study questions
- If you come from a religious background (and in the general container of religion we include all known brotherhoods, fraternities and sisterhoods, and even science if you treat science as your religion), spend a few moments digging out the “promises” of your faith. What sorts of things are you promised for being good? What sorts of things are you promised for following the rules? What sorts of things are you promised for performance? What reward is offered? What happens when the work is complete? Who gets the reward and who is excluded? Share with the group.
- It is not just exclusionary ideology that has to be rooted out and eliminated. You need to practice inclusion as well. This means that exclusionary political or social activities are no longer acceptable. Boys clubs are designed to exclude women. Cliques are designed to exclude the “uncool.” Hierarchies of all sorts, whether they are based on the colour of skin, the shape of genitals, grades on exams, or whatever meaningless tests are devised, serve only the powerful and privileged. They attenuate our power and dominate us by dividing us from each other. Therefore, examine your thoughts and actions. What sorts of exclusionary practices did you (or do you still) practice and why? Share your thoughts with the group.
- It is true that there is a lot of toxicity in the world. Understand that nothing in the new energy archetype is meant to imply that you must accept toxicity into your living spaces. It is important to understand, the more conscious and connected you become, the more sensitive and aware you will be. The more sensitive and aware you are, the more damaging emotional, psychological, spiritual, and physical toxicity will be to your mind, body, and connection. By all means, avoid the damaging impact of violence and toxicity by safe spaces, just do not participate in economic, political, or social exclusions. With this in mind, think about how you can create safe spaces for yourself while also working to overcome exclusionary ideologies and practices for others. Share with the group.
1Paul Foster Case, Wisdom of Tarot (Boston: Rosicrucian Order of the Golden Dawn, 2009), 187.
2Waite, The Pictorial Key to the Tarot: Being Fragments of a Secret Tradition Under the Veil of Divination.
3Zalewski and Zalewski, The Magical Tarot of the Golden Dawn, 189–90.